Day 4 - A Series of Unlikely Explanations

From NaPoWriMo.net:

"... from the Scottish science fiction writer Iain M. Banks... his books often have spaceships in them. And those spaceships have extremely odd, poetic names. So your challenge for today is to write a poem with a title drawn from one of these spaceship names."

I've picked the most dramatic (I think) of them all: A Series of Unlikely Explanations. I'm reading Jane Austen's Persuasion right now (my yearly read) and I think the spaceship name is a spot-on phrase for this book. So hopefully I'll get it down before midnight and for whoever reads this - enjoy!

A Series of Unlikely Explanations

When he first saw her she was
     still in bloom.
He had nothing to his name
     except for adventure -
     She only needed to escape her home.

There could have been no two 
hearts so open,
no tastes so similar,
no feelings so in unison.

A duty to her elders
   cowed into a corner, the only way out -
   to break his heart
He expected a
   swift death on a ship
   at war and could only
   fight against her explanation of being so easily persuaded

A man does not recover from such
devotion of the heart
to such a woman!
He out not;
he does not.

To explain away their
    hearts and passions-
    a war, relocation, almost engagements,
    pride, anger, shame, modesty -
    the excuses had run dry.

I have loved none but you.
Unjust I may have been,
weak and resentful
but never inconstant...
I must go, uncertain of my fate.



Comments

  1. So beautiful. I love that you post pictures of your actual handwriting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I know the blog is titled TypeWriter poetry but I can't find the time to type them out so I figure handwriting is the next best thing. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment