Day 3 - Sea shanty

From NaPoWriMo.net:

"I challenge you to write a sea shanty"

The first and only "sea shanty" that comes to mind is The Decemberists, Shanty for the Arethusa. It has the sound of a creaking boat and sometimes you can hear the wind. Also, according to Wikipedia and a few run ins with Arethusa in reading some Greek mythology:

"Arethusa (Ἀρέθουσα) means "the waterer". In Greek mythology, she was a nymph and daughter of Nereus (making her a Nereid),[1] and later became a fountain on the island of Ortygia in SyracuseSicily."

I'm not too good with rhyming poems but I do love alliteration which I think is as close as I'll get to rhyming. So here's a little sea shanty for this cold, gloomy, rainy-after-a-great-deluge-day and I'm going to keep with the Greek mythology idea. Hope you enjoy!

Siren

Sing slow and slip a string of slippery rope 'round their necks.

Sweetly, sweetly drag them down.

Catch the current to creep
below their creaking crates and capture them all.

Sweetly, sweetly drag them down.

Follow the fellows for fun and feast and fold them firmly into the freezing fathoms.

Sweetly, sweetly drag them down.

Comments