Day Twenty Five: centos

NaPoWriMo has suggested this prompt: "Today, let’s go a bit further in our theft and write centos — poems made up entirely of lines from other poems."

I already did that (Day 10) but I had a lot of fun doing it so I'll do it again but change it by only including lines from different poems from the same poet. :)

Here goes: (Most of these are the first lines from many William Carlos Williams poems)


Cento I

If you had come away with me
    the half-stripped trees
    the dayseye hugging the earth
    ecstatic bird songs pound
    an old willow with hollow branches
I have had my dream - - like others - -

Again I reply to the triple winds
    yellow, yellow, yellow, yellow!

In the flashes and black shadows
    I feel the caress of my own fingers.
    I've fond anticipation of a day
    each time it rings
    I must tell you
when I am alone I am happy.


* I've numbered the title of the poem that coincides with the line number in the cento:

1. April
2. Approach of Winter
3. Daisy
4. Dawn
5. Epitaph
6.  Thursday
7. January

8. Primrose
9. The Hunter 
10. The Gentle Man
11. The Uses of Poetry
12. The Thing
13. Young Sycamore
14. Waiting


Comments