Day Three: Epithalamium

First, go here to learn all about epithalamium.

This won't necessarily be a poem about weddings but something I'm feeling about the whole idea of weddings/marriage. A little bitter but that's what happens when you're single for a very, very long time.



Empty Spaces

Is someone supposed
     to be there?

Why should I put a
    you
        there?

Yes, I nod to a stranger,
     I know the space
     next to me.
     I can trace it blind with
     black chalk and fill it with gravel,
     and satisfy your curiosity
     of the emptiness.

I know the color of loneliness.
    The color between starlight
    and the dust under my bare feet
     - the color of that old light
     that carries wishes and
     dream filled gazes out of reach into
     that invisible, vacuous hope.

I read once on the sticker layered wall of a bathroom stall:
   
         "It is human nature to feel lonely."   
       
          Yes, it is.


Comments