Day Nineteen: Opposite Day and Life Event

Almost done! Although I think I'll keep up with the poem a day after this is over. But I can't believe I've kept up (kind of) with it so far!

So I'm thinking about Robert L. Brewer's Poetic Asides prompt. He suggests writing about a life event.  So here goes:


This fear of the truth
scares the energy out
through my limbs,
and every cell


I can't run very fast
or far but I'll try
when it comes to 
this fear.


I know what 
disappointment is
I know what it feels  like-
I've tasted it's bloody
copper metal sickness
and cannot wash it out.


I have seen my future
and it is limited 
it is lost
it is sad


The energy spent in
such potential
is really, now all a 
waste. An amount
of time that I could 
never replace.


In the front yard of my home
I can lay down next to the 
ghost of my younger self
and feel her wish 
and see her count on 
stars while cool
blades of grass press and
tickle the back of my legs.
I can feel all the hope
and feel the happiness
and I can see it
drift toward the moon
and I can see it evaporate
on that hot
August day.

Comments