Day Eleven: Senses

So the NaPoWriMo.net moderator suggested a poem involving all five senses: hearing, sight, touch, smell and taste.

So here goes.



Texas July

After hours under a neon
light that burn my red skin
still smelling of sunblock
I'll still hear the constant ocean.

After hours under a purple
cotton blanket that cools
I'll dream, restless as the waves.

     The waves that pushed and shoved.
     When I stood up in the water
     sand molding my feet and
     hearing my own laughter with
     the bitter water burning my eyes
     and tasting salt, still


I will be restless.

I will see the water beyond the
sand bar and wish to bathe in its
green-turquoise smooth waves


I will be restless.

After hours under a blue
wave that drowns me
I'll see the shore and float away.

     The waves wake me and my
     skin is icy and wet with
     sweat. My heart is a fist beating
     its way out of my chest
     and the salt tears staining my
     pillows expand and morph
     and shape into a nothing

My mind is restless and all I
cling to is the empty sheets and
the sound of the ceiling fan
anchor and wind to my most restless sleep.

Comments