Day One: Carpe diem


Carpe Diem quam minimum credula postero - "Seize the Day, putting as little trust as possible in the future"
Odes 1.11, Horace



April 1st: Day One

I thought about the prompt and wracked my brain over what to write and then instead of thinking of seizing the day all I could think of were days I'd let go, days I missed, days that I just wish I could take back and start over. Days I didn't seize (intentionally or not).

So here we go:


Those Were the Days


When I could try to do cartwheels
and falling down was looked on
as a right of passage,
such stuff inspirational posters are made on.

When I would count stars:
wish I may, wish I might-
but somehow, ended up with
bloodless veins,
dirt in my mouth,
tired,
I wished I was the moon.

What asinine providence.
I have shut that and this book,
I have been made crazy
in ways I have to write about on buses.

And now,
when I go back to bed
trees, reaching up
with dying limbs
for the stars-
Just old light,


All I can hear,
is the fast beating heart of a
slow learning,
brown and black speckled bird.


Comments